- The definition of a marvel is something unusual, wonderful or astounding.
An example of a marvel is a really cool new phone or computer, which is a marvel of technology.
- To marvel is defined as to express or feel wonder, astonishment or surprise.
When a person is shocked and surprised at a gift, this is an example of a person who marvels at a gift.
- a wonderful or astonishing thing; prodigy or miracle
- Archaic astonishment
Origin of marvelMiddle English mervaile from Old French merveille, a wonder from Vulgar Latin mirabilia, wonderful things, origin, originally neuter plural of Classical Latin mirabilis, wonderful from mirari, to wonder at from mirus, wonderful: see smile
- One that evokes surprise, admiration, or wonder. See Synonyms at wonder.
- Archaic Strong surprise; astonishment.
verbmar·veled, mar·vel·ing, mar·vels, also mar·velled mar·vel·ling
Origin of marvelMiddle English merveille, marvail from Old French merveille from Vulgar Latin miribilia alteration of Latin mīrābilia wonderful things from neuter pl. of mīrābilis wonderful from mīrārī to wonder from mīrus wonderful ; see smei- in Indo-European roots.
marvel - Computer Definition
The original code name for Microsoft Network.