- The definition of a marvel is something unusual, wonderful or astounding.
An example of a marvel is a really cool new phone or computer, which is a marvel of technology.
- To marvel is defined as to express or feel wonder, astonishment or surprise.
When a person is shocked and surprised at a gift, this is an example of a person who marvels at a gift.
marvel definition by Webster's New World
- a wonderful or astonishing thing; prodigy or miracle
- Archaic astonishment
Origin: Middle English mervaile ; from Old French merveille, a wonder ; from Vulgar Latin mirabilia, wonderful things, origin, originally neuter plural of Classical Latin mirabilis, wonderful ; from mirari, to wonder at ; from mirus, wonderful: see smile
marvel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that evokes surprise, admiration, or wonder. See Synonyms at wonder.
- Strong surprise; astonishment.
Origin: Middle English marvail, from Old French merveille, from Vulgar Latin *miribilia, alteration of Latin mīrābilia, wonderful things, from neuter pl. of mīrābilis, wonderful, from mīrārī, to wonder, from mīrus, wonderful; see smei- in Indo-European roots.
marvel - Computer Definition
The original code name for Microsoft Network.