- the state of being astonished; great amazement
- anything that astonishes
The definition of astonishment refers to feeling dazzled or overwhelmed by something.
Learning you had just won 10 million dollars would be a shocking surprise and an example of being filled with astonishment.
- Great surprise or amazement.
- A cause of amazement; a marvel.
(countable and uncountable, plural astonishments)
From astonish + -ment.
- A look of astonishment crossed his face as he turned.
- Her astonishment, when she felt the tiny creature inside, cannot be put in a letter.
- To his astonishment, the Other went.
- He kept looking to either side of the road for familiar faces, but only saw everywhere the unfamiliar faces of various military men of different branches of the service, who all looked with astonishment at his white hat and green tail coat.
- The French followed him with astonishment in their eyes chiefly because Pierre, unlike all the other Russians who gazed at the French with fear and curiosity, paid no attention to them.