Origin of endeavorMiddle English endever from en- (see en-) + dever from Old French deveir, duty, as in se mettre en deveir, to try to do: see devoir
A woman endeavors to climb a mountain.
- The definition of an endeavor is an attempt with a lot of effort.
An example of an endeavor is the climbing of a large mountain.
- Endeavor is defined as to strive to reach a goal.
An example of endeavor is to work to read the entire Bible.
- A conscientious or concerted effort toward an end; an earnest attempt.
- Purposeful or industrious activity; enterprise.
verben·deav·ored, en·deav·or·ing, en·deav·ors
Origin of endeavorMiddle English endevour from endeveren to make an effort from (putten) in dever (to put oneself) in duty, make it one's duty in in ; see in 1. dever duty ( from Old French deveir, devoir duty ; see devoir . )
(third-person singular simple present endeavors, present participle endeavoring, simple past and past participle endeavored)
- (intransitive) To attempt through application of effort (to do something); to try strenuously. [from 16th c.]
- 1669 May 18, Sir Isaac Newton, Letter (to Francis Aston):
- If you be affronted, it is better, in a foreign country, to pass it by in silence, and with a jest, though with some dishonour, than to endeavour revenge; for, in the first case, your credit's ne'er the worse when you return into England, or come into other company that have not heard of the quarrel.
- To work with purpose.
The verb is from Middle English endeveren (“to make an effort”); the noun is from Middle English endevour, from the verb. Endeveren is from (putten) in dever (“(to put oneself) in duty”), from in + dever (“duty”), partially translating Middle French (se mettre) en devoir (de faire) (“(to make it) one's duty (to do), to endeavour (to do)”) (from Old French devoir, deveir (“duty”)).
endeavor - Computer Definition
- In an endeavor to ensure your privacy, we'll meet your requirements.
- It was a huge endeavor to get the triplets dressed and ready to play in the snow.
- We will always endeavor to get your order shipped out as soon as possible.
- It's quite an endeavor to respond to complaints within 24 hours.
- We endeavor to keep you informed of any delay to your expected delivery date.