An enormous stack of pancakes.
The definition of enormous is something that is bigger than the usual size.
An example of enormous is a pumpkin the size of a car.
- very much exceeding the usual size, number, or degree; of great size; huge; vast; immense
- Archaic very wicked; outrageous
Origin of enormousMiddle English enormyouse ; from Classical Latin enormis (see enormity) + -ous
- a. Very great in size, extent, or amount.b. Very great in scope or import: enormous influence.
- Archaic Very wicked; heinous.
Origin of enormousFrom Latin &emacron;normis, unusual, huge, monstrous : &emacron;-, ex-, ex- + norma, norm; see gn&omacron;- in Indo-European roots. Sense 2, from Middle English enormious, from Latin &emacron;normis.
(comparative more enormous, superlative most enormous)
- Extremely large; greatly exceeding the common size, extent, etc.
From Latin ēnormis.