- The definition of enormous is something that is bigger than the usual size.
An example of enormous is a pumpkin the size of a car.
An enormous stack of pancakes.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- very much exceeding the usual size, number, or degree; of great size; huge; vast; immense
- Archaic very wicked; outrageous
Origin: Middle English enormyouse ; from Classical Latin enormis (see enormity) plush -ous
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Very great in size, extent, number, or degree.
- Archaic Very wicked; heinous.
Origin: From Latin ēnormis, unusual, huge, monstrous : ē-, ex-, ex- + norma, norm; see gnō- in Indo-European roots. Sense 2, from Middle English enormious, from Latin ēnormis.
- e·norˈmous·ly adverb
- e·norˈmous·ness noun