- The definition of iota is the ninth letter in the Greek alphabet, or a tiny bit of something.
- the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ι, ι)
- a very small quantity; jot
Origin of iotaClassical Greek iōta ; from Semitic as in Classical Hebrew (language) yōdh
- The ninth letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
- A very small amount; a bit: not an iota of truth to that tale.
Origin of iotaLatin iōta, from Greek, of Phoenician origin; see yd in Semitic roots.
- Oita, Ōita
From Ancient Greek ἰῶτα (iōta).
- (jot): In reference to a phrase in the New Testament: “until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law” (Mt 5:18), iota being the smallest letter of the Greek alphabet.