- A hoot is defined as someone or something that is funny and entertaining.
An example of a hoot is a child who tells silly jokes.
- The definition of a hoot is defined as not much, the littlest bit.
An example of a hoot is the expression, “I don’t give a hoot.”
- Hoot means the sound of an owl or a similar tone.
An example of a hoot is the sound a person makes during a bad sports play.
- To hoot is defined as to make a sound like an owl.
An example of to hoot is the phrase "to hoot and holler" meaning to yell.
- to utter its characteristic hollow sound: said of an owl
- to utter a sound like this
- to shout or cry out, esp. in scorn or disapproval
Origin of hootMiddle English houten, of echoic origin, originally , as also in Swed, Norwegian huta
- to express (scorn, disapproval, etc.) of by hooting
- to drive or chase away by hooting: to hoot an actor off the stage
- the sound that an owl makes
- any sound like this
- a loud shout or cry of scorn or disapproval
- ⌂ the least bit; whit: not worth a hoot
- Informal a very amusing person, thing, event, etc.: it's an old joke but a real hoot
Origin of hootuncertain or unknown; perhaps variant, variety of hoot
verbhoot·ed, hoot·ing, hoots
- To utter the characteristic cry of an owl.
- To make a loud raucous cry, especially of derision or contempt.
- To shout down or drive off with jeering cries: hooted the speaker off the platform.
- To express or convey by hooting: hooted their disgust.
- a. The characteristic cry of an owl.b. A sound suggesting the cry of an owl, especially the sound of a horn.
- A cry of scorn or derision.
- Informal One that is hilariously funny: “Emmett, that skirt is a hoot!” (Bobbie Ann Mason).
Origin of hootMiddle English houten, of imitative origin.
- (small particle) The term is nearly always encountered in a negative sense in such phrases as don't care a hoot or don't give two hoots.
- (derisive cry) The phrase a hoot and a holler has a very different meaning to hoot and holler. The former is a short distance, the latter is a verb of derisive cry.
(third-person singular simple present hoots, present participle hooting, simple past and past participle hooted)
hoot - Computer Definition
- shout, or holler.
- Something or someone hilarious, as in "Billy Bob is a real hoot, don't y'all reckon?" See also hoot 'n' holler.