- The definition of infinitesimal is something extremely small or very close to 0, or too small to be measured.
When you have only a single grain of rice, this is an example of a time when you have an infinitesimal amount of rice.
- too small to be measured; infinitely small
- Math. of or pertaining to an infinitesimal
Origin: ModL infinitesimus from Classical Latin infinitus (see infinite), influenced, influence by centesimus, hundredth from centum, hundred
- an infinitesimal quantity
- Math. a variable that approaches zero as a limit
- infinitesimally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Immeasurably or incalculably minute.
- Mathematics Capable of having values approaching zero as a limit.
- An immeasurably or incalculably minute amount or quantity.
- Mathematics A function or variable continuously approaching zero as a limit.
Origin: From New Latin īnfīnītēsimus, infinite in rank, from Latin īnfīnītus, infinite; see infinite.
- inˌfin·i·tesˈi·mal·ly adverb
infinitesimal - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.