- The definition of infinitesimal is something extremely small or very close to 0, or too small to be measured.
When you have only a single grain of rice, this is an example of a time when you have an infinitesimal amount of rice.
infinitesimal definition by Webster's New World
- too small to be measured; infinitely small
- Math. of or pertaining to an infinitesimal
Origin: Modern Latin infinitesimus ; from Classical Latin infinitus (see infinite), influenced, influence by centesimus, hundredth ; from centum, hundred
- an infinitesimal quantity
- Math. a variable that approaches zero as a limit
- infinitesimally adverb
infinitesimal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Immeasurably or incalculably minute.
- Mathematics Capable of having values approaching zero as a limit.
- An immeasurably or incalculably minute amount or quantity.
- Mathematics A function or variable continuously approaching zero as a limit.
Origin: From New Latin īnfīnītēsimus, infinite in rank, from Latin īnfīnītus, infinite; see infinite.
- inˌfin·i·tesˈi·mal·ly adverb
infinitesimal - Science Definition