- Eternity is defined as, or seems like, an endless amount of time.
- An example of eternity is the amount of time that takes place in heaven, according to the Bible.
- An example of eternity is spending over an hour on hold for a customer service person.
- the quality, state, or fact of being eternal; eternal existence or duration; continuance without end
- infinite time; time without beginning or end
- a long period of time that seems endless: an eternity of waiting
- the endless time after death
Origin: Middle English eternite ; from Old French eternité ; from Classical Latin aeternitas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. e·ter·ni·ties
- Time without beginning or end; infinite time.
- The state or quality of being eternal.
- a. The timeless state following death.b. The afterlife; immortality.
- A very long or seemingly endless time: waited in the dentist's office for an eternity.
Origin: Middle English eternite, from Old French, from Latin aeternitās, from aeternus, eternal; see eternal.