- Audio is defined as anything related to sound in terms of receiving, transmitting or reproducing or its specific frequency.
An example of something that is audio is a stereo.
- The definition of audio refers to the functions of a television set that are related to sound.
An example of an element of a television that is associated with audio is the speakers.
audio definition by Webster's New World
- of frequencies corresponding to sound waves that can normally be heard by the human ear
- ☆ of or relating to the reproduction of sound, esp. as distinguished from video, as in a telecast or videotape
Origin: ; from Classical Latin audire: see audience
Origin: see audio
audio definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or relating to humanly audible sound.
- a. Of or relating to the broadcasting, reproduction, or reception of sound.b. Of or relating to high-fidelity sound reproduction.
- The part of television or movie equipment that has to do with sound.
- The broadcasting, reception, or reproduction of sound.
- Audible sound.
- A sound signal: lost the audio during the broadcast.
Origin: From audio-.
- Hearing: audio-lingual.
- Sound: audiophile.
Origin: From Latin audīre, to hear; see au- in Indo-European roots.
audio - Computer Definition
Sound. Generally referring to sound recorded and reproduced, including voice and music. Unwanted audio is noise. See also noise.
The range of frequencies within human hearing, which is approximately 20Hz at the low end to a high of 20,000Hz. However, pundits claim that some people can hear higher frequencies. Analog Traditional audio devices are analog, because they handle sound waves in an analogous form. For example, radios maintain the audio signal as rippling waves from antenna to speaker. Tape cassette players record sound waves as magnetic waves. In the days of the phonograph record, sound waves were literally "carved" into the plastic platters. Digital In the computer, audio is processed by converting the analog signal into a digital code using PCM. See A/D converter, PCM and sampling.
audio - Medical Definition
- Hearing: audiology.
- Sound: audiogenic.