monumental[män′yo̵̅o̅ ment′'l, -yə-]
- The definition of monumental is something very large or important, or something that has lasting value.
When it is very hard for you to exercise and you make a very ambitious and dedicated effort to getting ready to compete in a race, this is an example of a monumental effort.
- of, suitable for, or serving as a monument or monuments
- like a monument; massive, enduring, etc.
- historically notable, important, or of lasting value
- very great; colossal: monumental ineptitude
- Art larger than life-size
Origin of monumentalLate Latin monumentalis
- Of, resembling, or serving as a monument.
- Impressively large, sturdy, and enduring.
- Of outstanding significance: Einstein's monumental contributions to physics.
- Astounding: monumental cowardice; monumental talent.