- Appearance is defined as the way that someone, or something, looks.
An example of a disheveled appearance is a person whose clothes are sloppy and who is said to have a disheveled look about him.
- the act or an instance of appearing
- the look or outward aspect of a person or thing
- anything that appears; thing seen
- Archaic an apparition
- an outward show; pretense: to give the appearance of being busy
- the way things seem to be: from all appearances he's innocent
Origin of appearanceMiddle English aparaunce ; from Old French aparance ; from Late Latin apparentia ; from apparere, appear
keep up appearances
make an appearance
- to put in an appearance
- to appear publicly
put in an appearance
- The act or an instance of coming into sight.
- The act or an instance of coming into public view: The author made a rare personal appearance.
- Outward aspect: an untidy appearance.
- Something that appears; a phenomenon.
- A superficial aspect; a semblance: keeping up an appearance of wealth.
- appearances Outward indications; circumstances: a cheerful person, to all appearances.
- The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye.
- His sudden appearance surprised me.
- A thing seen; a phenomenon; an apparition.
- There was a strange appearance in the sky.
- Personal presence; look; aspect; mien.
- Apparent likeness; external show; how something appears to others.
- Some people say I'm shallow because I care so much about my appearance.
- The act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character.
- A person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
- David Beckham's first appearance with the LA Galaxy at Giants Stadium against the New York Red Bulls last night drew a crowd of 66237.
- (law) The coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction.
- (medicine) Chiefly used by nurses: the act of defecation by a patient.
- The patient had a small bowel obstruction and there was no appearance until after the obstruction resolved.
appearance - Legal Definition
- The coming into a court to participate in a court proceeding by a party who has been validly served process or by a party who is voluntarily submitting itself to the court’s jurisdiction.
- The coming into a court to participate in a court proceeding by a witness or an interested person or by a lawyer acting on behalf of a party or interested person.