- Appearance is defined as the way that someone, or something, looks.
An example of a disheveled appearance is a person whose clothes are sloppy and who is said to have a disheveled look about him.
appearance definition by Webster's New World
- the act or an instance of appearing
- the look or outward aspect of a person or thing
- anything that appears; thing seen
- Archaic an apparition
- an outward show; pretense: to give the appearance of being busy
- the way things seem to be: from all appearances he's innocent
Origin: Middle English aparaunce ; from Old French aparance ; from Late Latin apparentia ; from apparere, appear
appearance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of coming into sight.
- The act or an instance of coming into public view: The author made a rare personal appearance.
- Outward aspect: an untidy appearance.
- Something that appears; a phenomenon.
- A superficial aspect; a semblance: keeping up an appearance of wealth.
- appearances Outward indications; circumstances: a cheerful person, to all appearances.
appearance - Legal Definition
- The coming into a court to participate in a court proceeding by a party who has been validly served process or by a party who is voluntarily submitting itself to the court’s jurisdiction.
- The coming into a court to participate in a court proceeding by a witness or an interested person or by a lawyer acting on behalf of a party or interested person.
appearance - Phrases/Idioms
keep up appearances
make an appearance
- to put in an appearance
- to appear publicly
put in an appearance