The definition of shoddy is something immoral or sordid, or is something badly made.adjective
- Stealing from people who trust you is an example of shoddy behavior.
- A cheap knock-off purse with uneven stitching and bad design is an example of a shoddy purse.
noun pl. shoddies
- an inferior woolen yarn made from fibers taken from used fabrics and reprocessed
- cheap woolen cloth made from this
- anything of less worth or quality than it seems to have; esp., an inferior imitation
Origin: 19th c. < ?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective shod·di·er, shod·di·est
- Made of or containing inferior material.
- a. Of poor quality or craft.b. Rundown; shabby.
- Dishonest or reprehensible: shoddy business practices.
- Conspicuously and cheaply imitative.
- a. Woolen yarn made from scraps or used clothing, with some new wool added.b. Cloth made from or containing such yarn.
- Something of inferior quality; a cheap imitation.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- shodˈdi·ly adverb
- shodˈdi·ness noun