built poorly, of cheap materials
Origin of jerry-builtfrom Jerry (as an old generalized epithet, especially of belittlement: compare jack), probably reinforced by jury
- Of or pertaining to a shoddily built structure.
- Anything that is ill-constructed.
- The whole operation was jerrybuilt from the beginning, and thus was doomed to failure.
- jerry-builder / jerrybuilder
- A pejorative of unknown origin concerning 'Jerry'
- or a derivation of 'jury-rigged', which is from nautical term for a short-term replacement of the mast and yards. This is less likely as it seems to be an American English formation of later dating.
(comparative more jerry built, superlative most jerry built)
- Alternative spelling of jerrybuilt.