Origin of crackerjacklate 19th-c. slang: extension of crack, + jack (nickname)
- Slang a person or thing of recognized excellence
- Cracker Jack
Origin of crackerjackProbably from crack, first-rate + jack.
(comparative more crackerjack, superlative most crackerjack)
- Exceptionally fine or excellent; top-notch; high quality.
- Expert, top-rated or high-performing.
- (US, slang) Referring to clothing items (pants, jersey, collar) that comprise the traditional blue uniform of the enlisted men of the US Navy, following the sailor uniform worn by Sailor Jack on boxes of Cracker Jack snacks.
(comparative more cracker-jack, superlative most cracker-jack)
- Alternative spelling of crackerjack.