- second in quality, rank, etc.; second-class
- inferior; mediocre; inadequate
Of inferior or mediocre quality or value.
(comparative more second-rate, superlative most second-rate)
- Of mediocre quality, not first class.
- They are intrigued by Mrs Deelville; she is dowdy, languid-voiced, and ill-dressed, in every way appearing second-rate, who nonethless - rather tiresomely - seems to have the knack of attracting men. - Rudyard Kipling A Second-rate Woman 1888
- Alternative spelling of second-rate.