- below a standard established as by law
- Linguis. nonstandard: substandard, not widely used by linguists, is a usually pejorative designation for dialects or linguistic forms that differ from the standard dialect
The definition of substandard is something that does not meet a basic, established level.
Getting Ds and Fs on your report card is an example of substandard academic performance.
below standard; specif.,
- Failing to meet a standard; below standard.
- Linguistics a. Of, relating to, or indicating a pattern of linguistic usage that does not conform to that of the prestige group in a speech community or to that of the standard language.b. Not in accord with notions of good English; nonstandard. See Usage Note at nonstandard.
- Going into the home loan process armed with some knowledge can potentially save home buyers money in the long run because they will not settle for a substandard loan product.
- This designation is not an indication of a substandard type of insurance, but instead means that they accept vehicles or drivers that other companies may consider too risky.
- The flavor must simply be barely detectable to qualify, and can be achieved by using substandard by-products from the animal in question, be it chicken, beef or turkey.
- If you'd like to get past the large amount of substandard patterns and find your way to the good stuff, check out the information listed below.
- A bumbling franchisee can damage goodwill of the business brand by providing lousy service or cutting corners to produce substandard products.