- The definition of minimum is the lowest amount.
An example of minimum used as an adjective is the phrase minimum jail sentence which means the lowest amount of years a person will serve in jail.
- Minimum means the lowest amount or allowable amount of something.
An example of a minimum is 40 miles per hour as the lowest speed allowed on a parkway.
nounpl. -·mums or -·ma
- the smallest quantity, number, or degree possible or permissible
- the lowest degree or point (of a varying quantity, as temperature) reached or recorded; lowest limit of variation
- Math. the smallest of a specified set of real numbers
Origin of minimumL, neuter of minimus, least, superlative from base of minor, minor
- smallest possible, permissible, or reached
- of, marking, or setting a minimum or minimums
nounpl. min·i·mums, or min·i·ma
- a. The least possible quantity or degree.b. The lowest degree or amount reached or recorded; the lower limit of variation.
- A lower limit permitted by law or other authority.
- A sum of money set by a nightclub or restaurant as the least amount each patron must spend on food and drink.
- Mathematics a. The smallest number in a finite set of numbers.b. A value of a function that is less than any other value of the function over a specific interval.
Origin of minimumLatin from neuter of minimus least ; see mei-2 in Indo-European roots.
(plural minimums or minima)
- The lowest limit.
- We prefer candidates with a minimum of 4 years experience in the field.
- We need a minimum of 3 fully-qualified staff members on duty at all time.
- The smallest amount.
- He always tries to get away with doing the minimum.
- Please keep noise to a minimum after 11 o'clock
- (astronomy) A period of minimum brightness or energy intensity (of a star).
- The Maunder minimum of the Sun reportedly corresponded to a period of great cold on Earth.
- (analysis) A lower bound of a set which is also an element of that set.
- (statistics) The smallest member of a batch or sample or the lower bound of a probability distribution.
- Minima is more common plural for the technical senses.
- To the lowest degree.