- An example of bidding is a wealthy businessman telling his butler to take care of errands.
- An example of bidding is trying to buy a ring on eBay.
The definition of bidding means a command, or a set of attempts to buy something at auction.
- a command or request
- an invitation or summons
- the bids or the making of bids in a card game or auction
do the bidding of
to be obedient to; carry out the orders of
- A demand that something be done; a command.
- A request to appear; a summons.
- Bids considered as a group, as at an auction or in card games: The bidding was higher than expected.
- Present participle of bid.
- That which one is bidden to do; a command.
- The act of placing a bid.
Variant of bid
transitive verbbade or bid, bidden or bid, bidding, bid
- Obsolete to beseech or implore
- to command, ask, or tell: do as you are bidden
- to offer (a certain amount) as the price or fee that one will pay or accept
- to declare openly: to bid defiance
- to express in greeting or taking leave: bid farewell to your friends
- ☆ Informal to offer membership to: the fraternity may bid five new men
- Now Chiefly Dial. to invite
- Card Games to state (the number of tricks or points one proposes to take and, in bridge, whether one proposes to play the hand with a specified suit as trump or with no suit as trump) in an effort to win the right to name trump
Origin of bidMiddle English bidden, to ask, plead, pray ; from Old English biddan ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bheidh-, to urge, compel; meaning and form merged with Middle English beden, to offer, present ; from Old English beodan, to command, decree ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bheudh-, to be alert, announce
to make a bid
- a bidding of an amount
- the amount bid
- a chance to bid
- an attempt or try: a bid for fame
- ☆ Informal an invitation, esp. to become a member
- Card Games
- the act of bidding
- the number of tricks, suit, etc. stated in a bid
- a player's turn to bid
to seem likely (to be or do something)
at an auction, to bid more than the best offer on one's own property in order to keep it
to raise the amount bid