- a chicken or chick; esp., a hen
- Informal a woman; esp., an elderly woman (usually old biddy) regarded contemptuously as annoying, gossipy, etc.
Origin of biddy; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
A hen; a fowl.
Origin of biddyOrigin unknown.
nounpl. bid·dies Derogatory
A woman, especially an older one who is extremely talkative.
Origin of biddyNickname for Bridget.
- (pejorative) A woman, especially an old woman; especially one regarded as fussy or mean or a gossipy busybody.
- (uncommon) An attractive little girl.
- (archaic, colloquial) An Irish maidservant.
- (by extension, derogatory) Any Irishwoman
- A name used in calling a hen or chicken, often as "biddy-biddy-biddy".
Derived from Biddy, diminutive form of Bridget. It came to be generic name for an Irish maid (US), and then an old woman.
- (US) Alternative spelling of bittie.