- An example of Jane is a shortened version of Janet.
- An example of Jane is a nickname for a woman whose name is unknown.
- a feminine name: dim. Janet, Jenny
- ⌂ Slang a girl or woman
Origin of JaneFrench Jeanne ; from Medieval Latin Joanna: see Joanna
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, III.vii:
- Certes was but a common Courtisane, / Yet flat refusd to haue a do with mee, / Because I could not giue her many a Iane.
From Old French Jannes (“Genoway”).
- Alternative capitalization of Jane, a woman.
- Alternative spelling of jean.