- Present participle of venture.
- The act of one who ventures.
Variant of venture
- a risky or dangerous undertaking; esp., a business enterprise in which there is danger of loss as well as chance for profit
- something on which a risk is taken, as the merchandise in a commercial enterprise or a stake in gambling
- chance; fortune: now only in , by mere chance; at random
Origin of ventureMiddle English aphetic for aventure: see adventure
transitive verbventured, venturing
- to expose to danger or risk: to venture one's life
- to expose (money, merchandise, etc.) to chance of loss
- to undertake the risk of; brave: to venture a storm
- to express at the risk of criticism, objection, denial, etc.: to venture an opinion
to do or go at some risk