When the military takes action against forces they believe intend to do harm to them, this is an example of a preemptive strike.
- of or having to do with preemption
- of or having to do with an action taken in advance of another possible action to prevent it from happening: a preemptive strike in war
- Bridge designating a high bid intended to shut out or obstruct opposing bids
- a. Undertaken or intended to deter or prevent an anticipated, usually unpleasant situation or occurrence: The two companies organized a preemptive alliance against a possible takeover by another firm.b. Having the power to preempt or take precedence: preemptive authority.
- Games Relating to or being a bid in bridge at a high level that is intended to interfere with the opponents' bidding.
(comparative more preemptive, superlative most preemptive)
preempt +"Ž -ive.