- The definition of preemptive is something done in anticipation of another action or done to prevent something from happening.
When the military takes action against forces they believe intend to do harm to them, this is an example of a preemptive strike.
- of or having to do with preemption
- Bridge designating a high bid intended to shut out or obstruct opposing bids
- a. Undertaken or intended to deter or prevent an anticipated, usually unpleasant situation or occurrence: The two companies organized a preemptive alliance against a possible takeover by another firm.b. Having the power to preempt or take precedence: preemptive authority.
- Games Relating to or being a bid in bridge at a high level that is intended to interfere with the opponents' bidding.
(comparative more preemptive, superlative most preemptive)