- The definition of picturesque is something scenic and beautiful.
The view of the sun setting over the water on a perfect summer day is an example of something that would be described as picturesque.
A picturesque sunset.
- like or suggesting a picture; specif.,
- having a wild or natural beauty, as mountain scenery
- pleasantly unfamiliar or strange; quaint
- suggesting or calling up a mental picture; striking; vivid: a picturesque description
Origin of picturesquealtered (by associated, association with picture) ; from French pittoresque ; from Italian pittoresco ; from pittore, painter ; from Classical Latin pictor, painter ; from past participle of pingere, to paint
- Of, suggesting, or suitable for a picture: picturesque rocky shores.
- Striking or interesting in an unusual way; irregularly or quaintly attractive: a picturesque French café.
- Strikingly expressive or vivid: picturesque language.
Origin of picturesqueAlteration of French pittoresque, from Italian pittoresco, from pittore, painter, from Latin pictor; see Pictor.
(comparative more picturesque, superlative most picturesque)