A picturesque sunset.
The view of the sun setting over the water on a perfect summer day is an example of something that would be described as picturesque.
- like or suggesting a picture; specif.,
- having a wild or natural beauty, as mountain scenery
- pleasantly unfamiliar or strange; quaint
- suggesting or calling up a mental picture; striking; vivid: a picturesque description
Origin of picturesquealtered (by associated, association with picture) from French pittoresque from Italian pittoresco from pittore, painter from Classical Latin pictor, painter from past participle of pingere, to paint
- Of, suggesting, or suitable for a picture: picturesque rocky shores.
- Striking or interesting in an unusual way; irregularly or quaintly attractive: a picturesque French café.
- Strikingly expressive or vivid: picturesque language.
Origin of picturesqueAlteration of French pittoresque from Italian pittoresco from pittore painter from Latin pictor ; see Pictor .
(comparative more picturesque, superlative most picturesque)