- The definition of picturesque is something scenic and beautiful.
The view of the sun setting over the water on a perfect summer day is an example of something that would be described as picturesque.
A picturesque sunset.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- like or suggesting a picture; specif.,
- having a wild or natural beauty, as mountain scenery
- pleasantly unfamiliar or strange; quaint
- suggesting or calling up a mental picture; striking; vivid: a picturesque description
Origin: altered (by associated, association with picture) from French pittoresque from Italian pittoresco from pittore, painter from Classical Latin pictor, painter from past participle of pingere, to paint
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, suggesting, or suitable for a picture: picturesque rocky shores.
- Striking or interesting in an unusual way; irregularly or quaintly attractive: a picturesque French café.
- Strikingly expressive or vivid: picturesque language.
Origin: Alteration of French pittoresque, from Italian pittoresco, from pittore, painter, from Latin pictor; see Pictor.
- picˌtur·esqueˈly adverb
- picˌtur·esqueˈness noun