pictorial[pik tôr′ē əl]
- Pictorial is defined as something illustrated or expressed in pictures.
If pictures tell a story of the history of a given plot of land, this is an example of a pictorial history.
- The definition of a pictorial is a newspaper or publication that mainly features pictures.
A news magazine made up entirely of pictures is an example of a pictorial.
- Rare of a painter or painting
- of, containing, or expressed in pictures
- evoking or suggesting a mental image or picture; vivid; graphic, as a description
Origin of pictorialLate Latin pictorius ; from Classical Latin pictor, painter ; from past participle of pingere, to paint
- Relating to, characterized by, or composed of pictures.
- Represented as if in a picture: pictorial prose.
- Illustrated by pictures: a pictorial history.
Origin of pictorialFrom Latin pictōrius, from pictor, painter; see Pictor.
Can be used comparatively â€œCould you give a more pictorial treatment of this subject?â€ but this usage is uncommon.
- Individual titles will be capitalized e.g. "Sunday Pictorial"
- In sense â€œan article consisting primarily of photographsâ€, particularly used of photographs of people, as in â€œThe budding starlet is featured in a pictorial in a glossy magazine next week.â€
Latin pictus (â€œpaintedâ€)