- any of various plants (genus Narcissus) of the lily family with a typically yellow flower having a large, trumpetlike corona
- the flower
Origin of daffodilMiddle English affodille from Medieval Latin affodillus from Late Latin asphodelus from Classical Greek asphodelos: initial d- from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- a. Any of various bulbous plants of the genus Narcissus, especially one of the many cultivated varieties of N. pseudonarcissus, having showy, usually yellow flowers with a trumpet-shaped central corona.b. The flower of any of these plants.
- A brilliant to vivid yellow.
Origin of daffodilAlteration of Middle English affodil from Latin asphodelus asphodel ; see asphodel .
(comparative more daffodil, superlative most daffodil)
- Of a brilliant yellow color, like that of a daffodil.
Variant of Middle English affodill, from Medieval Latin affodillus, from Latin asphodelus, from Ancient Greek ἀσφόδελος (asphodelos), of unknown origin. The initial d- is perhaps from merging of the article in Dutch de affodil, the Netherlands being a source for bulbs. (Compare newt and nickname)
- (rare) A female given name.
From the daffodil flower, used since the end of the 19th century.