- The definition of an atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of any kind of God or higher power.
An example of an atheist is a person whose beliefs are based in science, such as the idea humans came from evolution rather than Adam and Eve.
a person who believes that there is no God
Origin of atheistMiddle French athéiste: see atheism
- (narrowly) A person who believes that no deities exist (especially, one who has no other religious belief).
- (broadly) A person who rejects belief that any deities exist (whether or not that person believes that deities do not exist).
- (loosely) A person who has no belief in any deities, such as a person who has no concept of deities.
- (loosely, uncommon) A person who does not believe in a particular deity (any deity in a particular pantheon), notwithstanding that they may believe in another deity.
(comparative more atheist, superlative most atheist)