- Persist is defined as to refuse to give up or to continue to repeat an action.
An example of persist is a baby getting up after falling down over and over again.
persist definition by Webster's New World
- to refuse to give up, esp. when faced with opposition or difficulty; continue firmly or steadily
- to continue insistently, as in repeating a question
- to continue to exist or prevail; endure; remain
Origin: Middle French persister ; from Classical Latin persistere ; from per, through plush sistere, to cause to stand, reduplicated, reduplication of base of stare, to stand
persist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb per·sist·ed, per·sist·ing, per·sists
- To be obstinately repetitious, insistent, or tenacious.
- To hold firmly and steadfastly to a purpose, state, or undertaking despite obstacles, warnings, or setbacks.
- To continue in existence; last: hostilities that have persisted for years.
Origin: Latin persistere : per-, per- + sistere, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
- per·sisˈter noun