- The definition of a persimmon is a tree in the ebony family, or the fruit of such a tree.
An example of a persimmon is a Fuyu.
A pile of persimmons.
- any of a genus (Diospyros) of trees of the ebony family with white, cup-shaped flowers, hard wood, and yellow or orange-red, plumlike fruit
- the fruit, sour and astringent when green, but sweet and edible when thoroughly ripe
Origin of persimmonVirginia Algonquian pessemins, and the like
- Any of various chiefly tropical trees of the genus Diospyros, having hard wood and orange-red fruit with sweet usually soft pulp, especially D. kaki, native to East Asia, and D. virginiana, native to the eastern United States.
- The fruit of any of these trees.
Origin of persimmonOf Virginia Algonquian origin.