- The definition of a persimmon is a tree in the ebony family, or the fruit of such a tree.
An example of a persimmon is a Fuyu.
A pile of persimmons.
persimmon definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- any of a genus (Diospyros) of trees of the ebony family with white, cup-shaped flowers, hard wood, and yellow or orange-red, plumlike fruit
- the fruit, sour and astringent when green, but sweet and edible when thoroughly ripe
Origin: Virginia Algonquian pessemins, and the like
persimmon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various chiefly tropical trees of the genus Diospyros, having hard wood and orange-red fruit that is edible only when completely ripe.
- The fruit of any of these trees.
Origin: Of Virginia Algonquian origin.