- Bot. a resting cell giving rise to asexual spores
- a saclike larval stage of many trematodes which produces rediae by asexual development from germinal cells
- a protective cyst produced by some protozoans before sporulation, or a protozoan in such encystment
Origin: sporo- plush -cyst
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A resting cell that produces asexual plant spores.
- a. A protective case or cyst in which sporozoites develop and from which they are transferred to different hosts.b. A sporozoite enclosed in such a case; an encysted sporozoan.
- A saclike larval stage in many trematode worms.
sporocyst - Medical Definition
- A larval form in many trematode flatworms that develops in the body of its molluscan intermediate host.
- A secondary cyst that develops from a sporoblast and produces within itself one or several sporozoites.