- previously or already occupied
- absorbed in one's thoughts
- focused on a certain matter: preoccupied with losing weight
- Taxonomy designating or of a name already used and hence no longer available
She is preoccupied with texting on her phone while driving.
The definition of preoccupied is someone who is busy with or engaged in something.
An example of preoccupied is a person who is texting while driving.
- a. Absorbed in thought; engrossed.b. Excessively concerned with something; distracted.
- Formerly or already occupied.
- Already used and therefore unavailable for further use. Used of taxonomic names.
- Simple past tense and past participle of preoccupy.
- Maybe that was what he had been so preoccupied with lately.
- Kutuzov seemed preoccupied and did not listen to what the general was saying.
- Alex continued to be preoccupied with his problem - whatever it was.
- I know you've been preoccupied, but everyone else has noticed his interest in you.
- She stopped and stepped back into the hallway, too preoccupied to notice Jonny standing in front of his door.