- Absent is defined as not in attendance or missing.
An example of absent is a student who stays home from school.
- The definition of absent is something that does not exist.
An example of absent is the lack of oxygen on the moon.
- Absent is someone who is not paying attention.
An example of someone who is absent is a person who is daydreaming.
- Absent means taking the action to purposefully stay away or go away, often from a bad or unpleasant situation.
An example of absent would be audience members leaving during a bad movie.
The empty chair indicates an absent student.
absent definition by Webster's New World
- not present; away
- not existing; lacking
- not attentive; absorbed in thought
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin absens, present participle of abesse ; from ab-, away plush esse, to be: see is
absent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not present; missing: absent friends; absent parents.
- Not existent; lacking: a country in which morality is absent.
- Exhibiting or feeling inattentiveness: an absent nod.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin absēns, absent-, present participle of abesse, to be away : ab-, away; see ab-1 + esse, to be; see es- in Indo-European roots.
- abˈsent·ly adverb