- Absence is defined as a lack of something, or a situation where something or someone that is not present.
An example of an absence of knowledge is a lack of knowledge about geography.
- The definition of absence refers to the period of time that someone or something is away or not present.
An example of an absence is a two week vacation.
absence definition by Webster's New World
- the condition of being absent, or away
- the time of being away
- the fact of being without; lack: in the absence of evidence
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin absentia: see absent
absence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state of being away.
- The time during which one is away.
- Lack; want: an absence of leadership.
- The state of being absent-minded; inattentiveness: absence of mind.
absence - Medical Definition