- The definition of anarchy is chaos due to lack of authority to enforce rules.
Lawlessness in a country because of the break down of the government is an example of anarchy.
anarchy definition by Webster's New World
- the complete absence of government
- political disorder and violence; lawlessness
- disorder in any sphere of activity
Origin: Classical Greek anarchia: see anarch
anarchy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. an·ar·chies
- Absence of any form of political authority.
- Political disorder and confusion.
- Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.
Origin: New Latin anarchia, from Greek anarkhiā, from anarkhos, without a ruler : an-, without; see a-1 + arkhos, ruler; see -arch.