- The definition of a vacancy is the state of being empty or available, or refers to an empty and unintelligent mind.
- When a hotel has a room available that a guest can rent, this is an example of a vacancy.
- When there is a job available at a company that needs to be filled, this is an example of a vacancy.
- When a person is very dumb and knows nothing, this is an example of vacancy.
A motel vacancy sign.
- the state of being vacant, or empty; emptiness
- empty space
- a vacant space; gap, blank, opening, etc.
- the state of being empty in mind; lack of intelligence, interest, or thought; vacuity
- Now Rare the state of being free from work, activity, etc.; idleness
- an unoccupied position or office; unfilled post, situation, or job
- untenanted quarters, as in a hotel
- Physics a lattice defect in a crystal due to a displaced or missing ion or atom
Origin of vacancyClassical Latin vacantia ; from vacans
- The condition of being vacant or unoccupied.
- An empty or unoccupied space.
- A position, office, or place of accommodation that is unfilled or unoccupied.
- Emptiness of mind; inanity.
- A crystal defect caused by the absence of an atom, ion, or molecule in a crystal lattice.
- Archaic A period of leisure; idleness.
From vac(ant) +â€Ž -ancy.