- The definition of adrift is someone or something moving aimlessly without power, direction or restrictions.
- A boat that is floating on the water with no means of steering or stopping is an example of being adrift.
- A person who has no career plans or goals may be an example of a person who is adrift.
- floating freely without being steered; not anchored; drifting
- without any particular aim or purpose
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adverb & adj.
- Drifting or floating freely; not anchored.
- Without direction or purpose: “The report is about people in their twenties and how alienated and adrift they feel” (Tom Shales).