a person who is absent, as from work, school, etc.
designating or of a landlord or owner whose personal residence is distant from any other property owned, esp. from such property rented to another
One that is absent.
- Relating to one that is absent.
- Not in residence: absentee landlords. See Usage Note at -ee1.
As an absentee voter: voted absentee in the election.
- A person who is absent from his or her employment, school, post, duty, etc. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]
- (chiefly UK, historical) A landholder who lives in another district or country than the one in which his estate is situated. [First attested in the early 17th century.]
- One that is nonextistent or lacking.
- A voter that is not present at the time of voting; absentee voter. [First attested in the early 20th century.]
- Pertaining to one that is absent. [First attested in the mid 19th century.]
OriginSee also: absentée
absent + -ee
absentee - Legal Definition
A person who is not where he or she would normally be found, such as a place of residence or work.