- A person who always spots when you get a new haircut or a new outfit is an example of someone who is observant.
- A Jew who keeps Kosher and who follows all of the rules of his religion is an example of an observant Jew.
The definition of observant is someone who is good at noticing things, or someone who follows the rules and requirements of a particular religion.
- strict in observing, or keeping, a law, custom, duty, rule, etc.: often with of: observant of the rules of etiquette
- paying careful attention; keenly watchful
- perceptive or alert
- Judaism designating or of a person who adheres strictly to traditional religious practices
Origin of observantFr, present participle of observer, observe
former name for Friar Minor
- Having or showing keen perceptiveness; perceptive: an observant traveler; an observant memoir.
- Diligent in observing a law, custom, duty, or principle: observant of the speed limit.
(comparative more observant, superlative most observant)