- A person who always spots when you get a new haircut or a new outfit is an example of someone who is observant.
- A Jew who keeps Kosher and who follows all of the rules of his religion is an example of an observant Jew.
- strict in observing, or keeping, a law, custom, duty, rule, etc.: often with of: observant of the rules of etiquette
- paying careful attention; keenly watchful
- perceptive or alert
- Judaism designating or of a person who adheres strictly to traditional religious practices
Origin of observantFr, present participle of observer, observe
- Having or showing keen perceptiveness; perceptive: an observant traveler; an observant memoir.
- Diligent in observing a law, custom, duty, or principle: observant of the speed limit.
(comparative more observant, superlative most observant)