oblivious[ə bliv′ē əs]
- The definition of oblivious is being forgetful or unaware of your surroundings.
An example of oblivious is someone walking out into the street without looking to see if a car is coming.
- forgetful: usually with of
- unaware or indifferent: usually with of or, esp., to
- causing forgetfulness
Origin of obliviousMiddle English obliuyous ; from Classical Latin obliviosus ; from oblivio; see oblivion
- Lacking conscious awareness; unmindful: oblivious to her surroundings; oblivious of the criticism against him.
- Archaic Lacking all memory; forgetful.
(comparative more oblivious, superlative most oblivious)
From Latin obliviosus (“forgetful, oblivious")