- a person or thing that causes bad luck
- bad luck
- a natural rock formation of fantastic shape, esp. as found in the W U.S.
Origin of hoodoovariant, variety of voodoo
- a. Magic healing and control, especially in African-based folk medicine in the United States and the Caribbean. Also called conjure.b. A practitioner of hoodoo.
- a. Bad luck.b. One that brings bad luck.
- Geology A column of eccentrically shaped rock, produced by differential weathering.
transitive verbhoo·dooed, hoo·doo·ing, hoo·doos
- To practice hoodoo on; affect with a charm or curse.
- To bring bad luck to.
Origin of hoodooOf West African origin, possibly from voodoo.
toadstool-shaped hoodoo Grand Staircase-Escalante National Park, Utah
(third-person singular simple present hoodoos, present participle hoodooing, simple past and past participle hoodooed)