- The definition of a hex is a witch, or a bad spell.
An example of a hex is a spell designed to bring bad luck to someone.
- Hex is defined as to cast a spell or a curse.
An example of hex is to conjure up a spell to bring bad luck to someone.
- Dialectal a witch
- a sign, spell, etc. believed to bring bad luck
- a jinx
Origin of hexPennsylvania German hexe ; from German ; from Old High German hagazussa, akin to Old English hagtes: see hag
- An evil spell; a curse.
- One that brings bad luck.
transitive verbhexed, hex·ing, hex·es
- To put a hex on.
- To bring or wish bad luck to: “Chilly evening weather and a chain of minor snafus seemed to hex the $5,000-a-seat gala on Governors Island” (Newsweek).
Origin of hexPennsylvania Dutch, from German hexen, to hex, from Hexe, witch, from Middle High German hecse, from Old High German hagzissa.
(third-person singular simple present hexes, present participle hexing, simple past and past participle hexed)
- To put a hex (a spell, especially an evil spell) on.
First attested about 1830, from Pennsylvania German hexe (“to practice witchcraft”), from German hexen (compare Hexe (“witch”)). The noun appeared later, in the 1850s.
- (computing, informal) Short for hexadecimal.
Short for hexadecimal.
- A hexagonal space on a game board.
Short for hexagon.
- Form of hexa- used before a vowel.
hex- - Computer Definition
See hexadecimal notation.
(HEXadecimal) Hexadecimal means 16. The base 16 numbering system is used as a shorthand for representing binary numbers. Each half byte (four bits) is assigned a hex digit as shown in the following chart with its decimal and binary equivalents. Hex values are identified with an "h" or dollar sign, thus $3E0, 3E0h and 3E0H all stand for the hex humber 3E0. See hex chart and hex editor. Base Base 16 10 2 16 10 2 Hex Dec Binary Hex Dec Binary 0 0 0000 A 10 1010 1 1 0001 B 11 1011 2 2 0010 C 12 1100 3 3 0011 D 13 1101 4 4 0100 E 14 1110 5 5 0101 F 15 1111 6 6 0110 7 7 0111 8 8 1000 9 9 1001
Variant of hexa-
Origin of hexa-; from Classical Greek hex, six