- The definition of supernatant is floating over or on the surface of something.
An example of supernatant used as an adjective is in the phrase "supernatant liquid" which means a liquid that comes to the top of a mixture and rests on the surface.
- The definition of a supernatant is a clear fluid that rises to the top.
An example of a supernatant is a fluid on top of a sediment.
- floating on the surface or over something
- Chem. designating or of a liquid standing above a precipitate
Origin of supernatantClassical Latin supernatans, present participle of supernatare, to swim above ; from super- (see super-) + natare, to swim (see natant)
Origin of supernatantLatin supernatāns, supernatant-, present participle of supernatāre, to float : super-, super- + natāre, to swim, frequentative of nāre; see snā- in Indo-European roots.
- The liquid that lies above a sediment or precipitate; supernate
- Material that floats on the surface of a liquid