incredible[in kred′ə bəl]
- The definition of incredible is something so unbelievable or so unusual that it is hard to believe.
An example of incredible is someone telling a story about a Sasquatch sighting.
- not credible; unbelievable
- seeming too unusual or improbable to be possible
Origin of incredibleClassical Latin incredibilis
- So implausible as to elicit disbelief; unbelievable: gave an incredible explanation of the cause of the accident.
- Astonishing, extraordinary, or extreme: dressed with incredible speed.
Origin of incredibleMiddle English, from Latin incrēdibilis : in-, not; see in–1 + crēdibilis, believable; see credible.
- in·cred′i·bil′i·ty, in·cred′i·ble·ness
(comparative more incredible, superlative most incredible)
- Too implausible to be credible; beyond belief; unbelievable. [from 15th c.]
- Amazing; astonishing; awe-inspiring.
- He was so wrapped up in watching the incredible special effects that he couldn't keep track of the story.
- Marvelous; profoundly affecting; wonderful.
- I had such an incredible slice of pizza last night that I simply can't think about anything else.