- a remembering or being remembered
- the power to remember
- something remembered; memory
- the extent of time over which one can remember
- an object that serves to bring to mind or keep in mind some person, event, etc.; souvenir, gift, keepsake, memento, etc.
- commemoration: in remembrance of the deceased
Origin: ME < OFr: see remember & -ance
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or process of remembering.b. The state of being remembered: holds him in fond rememberance.
- Something serving to celebrate or honor the memory of a person or event; a memorial.
- The length of time over which one's memory extends.
- Something remembered; a reminiscence.
- A souvenir.
- A greeting or token expressive of affection.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from remembrer, to remember; see remember.