- Conscientious is defined as acting in a way that is very thorough and careful.
An example of conscientious is measuring the liquid in each test tube of an experiment to be perfectly equal.
- The definition of conscientious is following what you know to be right or true.
An example of conscientious is making a moral decision after lots of research and consideration.
- governed by, or made or done according to, what one knows is right; scrupulous; honest
- showing care and precision; painstaking
Origin of conscientiousFrench conscientieux ; from Medieval Latin conscientiosus: see conscience and amp; -ous
- Guided by or in accordance with the dictates of conscience; principled: a conscientious decision to speak out about injustice.
- Thorough and assiduous: a conscientious worker; a conscientious effort to comply with the regulations. See Synonyms at diligent.
Origin of conscientiousObsolete French conscientieux, from Medieval Latin cōnscientiōsus, from Latin cōnscientia, conscience; see conscience.
(comparative more conscientious, superlative most conscientious)
From Middle French conscientieux