- The definition of conscientious is following what you know to be right or true.
An example of conscientious is making a moral decision after lots of research and consideration.
- Conscientious is defined as acting in a way that is very thorough and careful.
An example of conscientious is measuring the liquid in each test tube of an experiment to be perfectly equal.
conscientious definition by Webster's New World
- governed by, or made or done according to, what one knows is right; scrupulous; honest
- showing care and precision; painstaking
Origin: French conscientieux ; from Midieval Latin conscientiosus: see conscience and amp; -ous
conscientious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Guided by or in accordance with the dictates of conscience; principled: a conscientious decision to speak out about injustice.
- Thorough and assiduous: a conscientious worker; a conscientious effort to comply with the regulations.
Origin: Obsolete French conscientieux, from Medieval Latin cōnscientiōsus, from Latin cōnscientia, conscience; see conscience.
- conˌsci·enˈtious·ly adverb
- conˌsci·enˈtious·ness noun