- The definition of punctual is on time or not late.
An example of punctual is a person who promises to arrive at 2 and who arrives at 2.
punctual definition by Webster's New World
- of, like, or drawn into a single point
- carefully observant of an appointed time; on time; prompt
- Archaic punctilious
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin punctualis ; from Classical Latin punctus, a point
punctual definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Acting or arriving exactly at the time appointed; prompt.
- Paid or accomplished at or by the appointed time.
- Precise; exact.
- Confined to or having the nature of a point in space.
- Linguistics Of, related to, or being the verbal aspect that expresses momentary action or action considered as having no temporal duration.
Origin: Middle English, sharp-pointed, from Medieval Latin pūnctuālis, from Latin pūnctum, point, from neuter past participle of pungere, to prick; see pungent.
- puncˌtu·alˈi·ty , puncˈtu·al·ness noun
- puncˈtu·al·ly adverb