- The definition of punctual is on time or not late.
An example of punctual is a person who promises to arrive at 2 and who arrives at 2.
- of, like, or drawn into a single point
- carefully observant of an appointed time; on time; prompt
- Archaic punctilious
Origin of punctualMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin punctualis ; from Classical Latin punctus, a point
- Acting or arriving exactly at the time appointed; prompt.
- Paid or accomplished at or by the appointed time.
- Precise; exact.
- Confined to or having the nature of a point in space.
- Linguistics Of, related to, or being the verbal aspect that expresses momentary action or action considered as having no temporal duration.
Origin of punctualMiddle English, sharp-pointed, from Medieval Latin pūnctuālis, from Latin pūnctum, point, from neuter past participle of pungere, to prick; see pungent.
- punc′tu·al′i·ty , punc′tu·al·ness
(comparative more punctual, superlative most punctual)