- An example of someone scrupulous is an accountant who never leaves the books unbalanced.
- A good citizen who returns money found to the person who dropped it is an example of someone scrupulous.
The definition of scrupulous is someone who is detailed and precise, or someone who is aware of the right thing to do.
- extremely careful to do the precisely right, proper, or correct thing in every last detail; most punctilious
- showing extreme care, precision, and punctiliousness
- extremely conscientious
- full of scruples; hesitant, doubtful, or uneasy, esp. constantly and obsessively, in deciding what is morally right or wrong
Origin of scrupulousfrom Middle French or L: Middle French scrupuleux from Classical Latin scrupulosus
- Conscientious and exact; painstaking. See Synonyms at meticulous.
- Having scruples; principled.
Origin of scrupulousMiddle English from Old French scrupuleux from Latin scrūpulōsus from scrūpulus scruple ; see scruple .
- scru′pu·los′i·ty scru′pu·lous·ness
(comparative more scrupulous, superlative most scrupulous)