- An example of someone scrupulous is an accountant who never leaves the books unbalanced.
- A good citizen who returns money found to the person who dropped it is an example of someone scrupulous.
- extremely careful to do the precisely right, proper, or correct thing in every last detail; most punctilious
- showing extreme care, precision, and punctiliousness
- extremely conscientious
- full of scruples; hesitant, doubtful, or uneasy, esp. constantly and obsessively, in deciding what is morally right or wrong
Origin of scrupulous; from Middle French or L: Middle French scrupuleux ; from Classical Latin scrupulosus
- Conscientious and exact; painstaking. See Synonyms at meticulous.
- Having scruples; principled.
Origin of scrupulousMiddle English, from Old French scrupuleux, from Latin scr&umacron;pul&omacron;sus, from scr&umacron;pulus, scruple; see scruple.
- scru′pu·los′i·ty , scru′pu·lous·ness
(comparative more scrupulous, superlative most scrupulous)