- The definition of scrupulous is someone who is detailed and precise, or someone who is aware of the right thing to do.
- An example of someone scrupulous is an accountant who never leaves the books unbalanced.
- A good citizen who returns money found to the person who dropped it is an example of someone scrupulous.
scrupulous definition by Webster's New World
- extremely careful to do the precisely right, proper, or correct thing in every last detail; most punctilious
- showing extreme care, precision, and punctiliousness
- extremely conscientious
- full of scruples; hesitant, doubtful, or uneasy, esp. constantly and obsessively, in deciding what is morally right or wrong
Origin: ; from Middle French or L: Middle French scrupuleux ; from Classical Latin scrupulosus
scrupulous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Conscientious and exact; painstaking. See Synonyms at meticulous.
- Having scruples; principled.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French scrupuleux, from Latin scrūpulōsus, from scrūpulus, scruple; see scruple.
- scruˌpu·losˈi·ty , scruˈpu·lous·ness noun
- scruˈpu·lous·ly adverb