- The definition of reluctant is being unwilling to do something.
An example of reluctant is a dog that doesn’t want to go out in the rain for a walk.
- opposed in mind (to do something); unwilling; disinclined
- marked by unwillingness: a reluctant answer
- Rare struggling against; resisting; opposing
Origin: L reluctans, present participle of reluctari, to resist from re-, against plush luctari, to struggle: see lock
- reluctantly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Unwilling; disinclined: reluctant to help.
- Exhibiting or marked by unwillingness: a reluctant smile.
- Offering resistance; opposing.
Origin: Latin reluctāns, reluctant-, present participle of reluctārī, to reluct; see reluct.
- re·lucˈtant·ly adverb