- The definition of listless is someone who is lacking in energy or vitality and does not extend physical effort.
An example of someone who would be described as listless is a depressed person who lays around all day.
A woman feeling listless.
- having no interest in what is going on about one, as a result of illness, weariness, dejection, etc.; spiritless; languid
- characterized by such a feeling
Origin of listlesslist + -less
- Lacking energy or disinclined to exert effort; lethargic: felt tired and listless.
- Characterized by a lack of energy or interest: a listless glance.
Origin of listlessMiddle English listles : probably from liste, desire (from listen, to desire; see list5) + -les, -lesse, -less.
(comparative more listless, superlative most listless)
From list + -less.