- The definition of inanimate is dull, lifeless or without spirit.
An example of something inanimate is a rock.
A rock is an inanimate object.
- not animate; not endowed with (animal) life
- not animated; dull; spiritless
Origin of inanimateLate Latin inanimatus
- Not having the qualities associated with active, living organisms.
- Not animated or energetic; dull.
- Grammar Belonging to the class of nouns that stand for nonliving things: The word car is inanimate; the word dog is animate.
(comparative more inanimate, superlative most inanimate)
- (grammar): animate
- Something that is not alive.
(third-person singular simple present inanimates, present participle inanimating, simple past and past participle inanimated)
- (obsolete) To animate.