breathless definition by Webster's New World
- without breath
- Old Poet. no longer breathing; dead
- out of breath; panting or gasping
- unable to breathe easily because of excitement, fear, etc.
- of or characteristic of writing having a light, superficial, or dramatic, fast-paced style intended to excite the interest of the reader
- still and heavy, as the air; stifling
breathless definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Breathing with difficulty; gasping: was breathless from running.
- Marked by the suspension of regular breathing, as from tension or excitement: a breathless audience.
- Causing or capable of causing the suspension of regular breathing; tense or exciting: a breathless flight.
- a. Not breathing; without breath.b. Dead.
- Having no air or breeze; still: a breathless summer day.
- breathˈless·ly adverb
- breathˈless·ness noun