- without breath
- Old Poet. no longer breathing; dead
- out of breath; panting or gasping
- unable to breathe easily because of excitement, fear, etc.
- of or characteristic of writing having a light, superficial, or dramatic, fast-paced style intended to excite the interest of the reader
- still and heavy, as the air; stifling
- Breathing with difficulty; gasping: was breathless from running.
- a. Excited or tense, often to the point of holding the breath: a breathless audience.b. Tense or exciting, often in causing or being characterized by holding of the breath: breathless anticipation.
- a. Not breathing; without breath.b. Dead.
- Having no air or breeze; still: a breathless summer day.
(comparative more breathless, superlative most breathless)
breath + -less